[lbo-talk] query: from anarchist to marxist???

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:42:27 PDT 2011

I recently re-watched the interview with David Graeber on Charlie Rose that, I think, ravi posted. He described anarchism in a way that I thought was really interesting. In general, he said that it is a committment to the idea that it's possible to have a society based on self-organization, voluntary association and mutual aid. If you are interested in living as if that is possible, then you are an anarchist.

I take it that the passage through anarchism to Marxism probably comes by way of a recognition of the necessity of the state--that was something that Doug touched on in passing in the interview w/Corey Robin. I wonder what Marxists--or "Marxists"--think of this.

-christian

^^^^ CB; Marxists agree with anarchists that humans do not need a state power to organize society , and that ultimately the state will whither away in Communism after capitalist relations of production are abolished. However, Marxists do not agree that initial step to Communism is to directly abolish the state. The state as the dictatorship of the proletariat will last as long as there are capitalists with control of state powers and repressive force .

Lenin gives the full Marxist theory of the state, contrasting it with the anarchist attitude to the state in _The State and Revolution_.