[lbo-talk] me, in Truthdig: Our Delusions of Grandeur Will Save the World

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:07:47 PDT 2011

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/our_delusions_of_grandeur_will_save_the_world_20111017/

“I’m going to be on your show some day.” “No, no you’re not.” An exchange between a middle-class “Millennial” and Bill Maher offered up as an anecdote to describe a generation on HBO’s “Real Time.” It’s kind of true. We’re excessively confident, thinking of ourselves like protagonists in a bildungsroman. Not that with SparkNotes and Wikipedia to rely on, we’ve had to actually read Goethe. We have no discernible gifts or achievements to our name, but our parents tell us that we’re going to be just great. We use the “like” button on Facebook to tell one another the same thing. Narcissists to the core, we believe the hype.