[lbo-talk] me, in Truthdig: Our Delusions of Grandeur Will Save the World

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 17:17:26 PDT 2011

Who's "we" white man? The "we" of this article describes a fairly narrow group: hyper-achieving, college graduates of the last ten years.

The sad thing is that they were not bred to be leaders (despite/because of that "achievement"), but followers. So, we'll see whether those well-inculcated work habits can be turned to something worth while.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bhaskar Sunkara" <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 2:07:47 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] me, in Truthdig: Our Delusions of Grandeur Will Save the World

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/our_delusions_of_grandeur_will_save_the_world_20111017/

“I’m going to be on your show some day.” “No, no you’re not.” An exchange between a middle-class “Millennial” and Bill Maher offered up as an anecdote to describe a generation on HBO’s “Real Time.” It’s kind of true. We’re excessively confident, thinking of ourselves like protagonists in a bildungsroman. Not that with SparkNotes and Wikipedia to rely on, we’ve had to actually read Goethe. We have no discernible gifts or achievements to our name, but our parents tell us that we’re going to be just great. We use the “like” button on Facebook to tell one another the same thing. Narcissists to the core, we believe the hype. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk