[lbo-talk] VERY off-topic: for the English teachers (probably not profs)

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 19:11:21 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> I don't remember much about Czech; I do remember that the neuter noun
> endings had completely flattened out, but that often Czech writers would
> write _as if_ the endings were still informational. It made some very odd
> sentences, or so they seemed  to me.

That doesn't sound right. The neuter is as alive as it is in German. There's a forth gender, masculine animate, indicating males and animals and live things with male genders. So you're dipping into philosophy and you're still on noun genders.

Czech is chock-a-block with baroque stuff like this. It's like Esperanto if it were designed by Lem and Borges.

-- Andy