[lbo-talk] Taking the Pulse of Elite Response to OWS

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 18 09:13:07 PDT 2011

> On Oct 18, 2011, at 10:53 AM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> Good for them for being polite enough not to fight. But also perhaps
>> they just don’t care?
>
> Then what are they doing messing with politics?

I'd imagine that if you think that the world is going to change through correct, ethical action they you ARE fighting by not fighting.

What you don't care about is having a fight over theory removed from the action, elsewhere, since where it really matters is in among others who are working alongside you to build an alternative community.

It is kind of like the studied patience of true believers - Quakers come to mind - where the goal is not to proselytize through arguments and words; it's never to try to win over anyone in debate. Rather, the goal is to live your life as ethical example. Propaganda of the deed as they say - only not of the violent sort. When you are possessed of the belief that what matters is right action throughout your life - at home, work, etc. - then this kind of orthodoxy is all that matters. Being distracted by arid debates asking what if? why not? wasn't it like this then? coudl it be like that now? will we fail? what if we fail? -- is a massive and boring waste of time.

No idea if this is accurate, it's just a sense I get from some folks who are like this.

others, obviously, aren't like this. they are less secure in their belief and are far more inclined to believe that you had to get as many people on board the clue train as possible, living out an ethical life of prefigurative politics, for otherwise, with a vast majority, you'd fail.

shag