[lbo-talk] port huron

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 18 18:34:46 PDT 2011

reading about SDS in Freedom is an Endless Meeting so I looked up the Port Huron statement which I hadn't read since 1989!

Wow. I always thought that sucker was radical. It was pretty damn tame - considering. And holee fuckliotta, be glad, be vewy vewy glad, none of this has been issued from OWS. What a total drag to read. I vaguely recall that it was inspiring when I read it(what was obviously an excerpt. Oh, the joy of a well-edited document!). But it is so... so written by a college junior or something. Arrrrgh!

Anyway, in the book Polletta is talking about how, during the drafting of the statement, Hayden and Michael Harrington duked it out and got in a heated battle over their position on communism. I learn here that the problem with the old Left, according tot he New left, was its anti-communism.

What? Really? I had never heard that one - that the Old left was anti-communist or that the New Left criticized them for it.