[lbo-talk] Kautsky : OWS and "experience of revolution"

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 07:18:15 PDT 2011

OWS reminds of this from Lenin in the PostScript to _The State and Revolution_ (where he critiques Kautsky extensively for , not as I said supporting, but for a position of abstention on War credits ( "shamefaced" ?) as Angelus said (smiles).

"It is more pleasant and useful to go through the "experience of revolution" than to write about it."

Vladimir Lenin's The State and Revolution PostScript

PostScript to the First Edition

This pamphlet was written in August and September 1917. I had already drawn up the plan for the next, the seventh chapter, "The Experience of the Russian Revolutions of 1905 and 1917". Apart from the title, however, I had no time to write a single line of the chapter; I was "interrupted" by a political crisis--the eve of the October revolution of 1917. Such an "interruption" can only be welcomed; but the writing of the second part of this pamphlet ("The Experience of the Russian Revolutions of 1905 and 1917") will probably have to be put off for a long time. It is more pleasant and useful to go through the "experience of revolution" than to write about it.

The Author

Petrograd November 30, 1917