[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 19 17:39:07 PDT 2011

As best I can tell, what Doug is objecting to is the idea that "a way or life" is a sound approach to overthrowing capitalism.

So, what he seems to be rejecting is the idea of a prefigurative politics where you try, as best you can, to live as if you already had the good society you hoped to build. Doug seems to reject this approach as northing more than an ethics - an ineffective politics and, in fact, not a politics at all - if I understand him.