[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 19 17:44:29 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 7:48 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> Why is that happening. It doesn't just magically appear, it's not a
> property of simply being y'all's wonderful selves. Or is it? What is
> it that makes you all feel a sense that you would, to paraphrase, come
> to each other's things...

Because the moment feels full of possibility. Who knows how long that will last, but for now, I'm going with it.

> I'd also love it if doug would answer my question about ethics v
> politics. In the past, Doug, you've objected to carrol's complaints
> about moralizing, and you silent a few years ago when I made a
> sustained year long argument against the ethical practice embraced by
> radical/cultural feminists, so I'm curious what *your* critique of
> ethics is.

I'm sorry, I missed that. But in a nutshell my objection to ethics is that it focuses too much on individual behavior, and seems to lead to a moralizing purity not merely about how one lives daily life, but also about "process" in radical groups. Fighting the power is dirtier than that stance allows.

Doug