[lbo-talk] Greece on the brink...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:40:15 PDT 2011

>From the article: "Political organisations, such as parties on the
left side of the spectrum to groups in the anti-authoritarian or autonomous spectrum, are under enormous pressure. The acceleration of the economic crisis has resulted in a serious political crisis and the complete lack of a concrete alternative is obvious. Voices on the left spectrum have begun whispering about the need to form a left government constituted by a broad coalition of the left parties and smaller groupings. However, they have been unable to articulate this idea in such a way that it has been able to inspire the broad movements and struggles which have appeared in a very sudden and decentralized way. This is despite the fact that these parties are actually potentially very strong, as they account for 26% in the polls, while the party in government accounts for only 15%, with almost 50% of the voters having declared that they will abstain from voting in any future elections. "

[WS:] This sounds pretty ominous but symptomatic of the "new left" - of which I have been complaining on this list to the ridicule of the stomp-your-feet-first-ask-questions-later crowd. They sit on a considerable potential, yet have no idea how to mobilize it to a politically constructive end. Plenty of tantrum fits, but no vision. How depressing.

Wojtek