[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:54:10 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> but I don't think you've accurately characterized what she's saying:
> she's talking about physically, materially enacting a politics. (is
> this what Eric B means by biopolitics? I never understand that
> language...)

I've only been able to skim this thread and have only watched the first 20 minutes of the video, but until I get time later today: I don't think I've ever used the term biopolitics by myself. I certainly respect people (like Foucault) who do use it, and I probably have quoted others who have, but like you I don't really have enough understanding of it to use. Between its "negative" uses (Agamben) and its positive uses (Hardt and Negri), its to malleable of a concept for me to pin down, and from what I do understand of it, I'm not sure of its usefulness.

Anyway, I do find it interesting that people like to let us know they read certain thinkers but when others use those thinkers to, ah, think, they are mercilessly mocked. That's a neat trick.