[lbo-talk] A Note on Demands

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:59:39 PDT 2011

When we were mobilizing for the November Moratorium in 1969, it never occurred to anyone to formulate the demand, "Don't drop a Nuke on the Chinese in North Vietnam." We just said stop it damn it. It has since turned out that perhaps that Moratorium did, in Andie N's words on this list a few years ago, Save the World. It so shook Nixon (he was probably easier to shake than Obama) that he decided not to drop a nuke on those installations. If OWS and perhaps other kinds of protest action continue, the policy makers are going to be scratching their heads over how to calm things down. It will include heavy repression of course, but they will also come up with various kinds of 'reforms' intended to satisfy someone out there. But it's more or less pointless under current conditions to try to craft specific legislation that is wanted. That's up to the scoundrels in D.C. We just have to make them scurry and (for now) hope that some of their scurrying helps some people.

Incidentally, perhaps we will learn ten years from now that OWS stopped an attack on Iran. Or on some other horror of which we have no knowledge but which is being planned. Imagine the outpouring NOW that would occur if the U.S. pulled some major aggressvie move arond the world.

The climate is changing. Think how to opeate in tht climate,not how to nag OWS into being something it isn't.

Carrol