[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

leninstombblog at googlemail.com leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:32:18 PDT 2011

Ferenc Molnar said:

"And what if Greece represents not the microcosm but the macrocosm? What if the entire system is so rotten that it's caving in on itself? And when we finally storm into the board rooms we find not the illuminati twirling their mustaches but a bunch of James Murdoch's.... spoiled, arrogant and clueless brats who are just as scared as the rest of us."

Greece is a weak link in the capitalist chain. It is not wise to see it as a synecdoche for the system as a whole. Indeed, part of Greece's crisis is the overwhelming class power of the European bourgeoisie which is able to force these barbaric 'austerity' measures on the country. The capitalist system is in a period of long-term crisis, but it is not collapsing and will not unless a sufficient array of social forces are assembled behind an alternative mode of production. That's not going to happen overnight, so there's no point in reaching for maximalist demands in the hope of the integument collapsing under the slightest pressure. Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media