[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 20 17:13:57 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:46 AM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, let me ask explicitly: what's wrong with being against full
>> employment as a demand? Jobs (little "j") fucking suck and cause as
>> much misery, stress, and death as lack of jobs. Why demand that? Talk
>> about desiring your own repression.
>
> I don't see what's so difficult about it.

No shit. I don't think Eric is rolling in it, otherwise I might denounce him as some sort of leisure class rentier. For most people, job = some semblance of solvency and no job = desperation. That's not complicated. Yeah, jobs can suck, but joblessness sucks even more. This is well-established in the social science literature. Unemployment causes disease and early death.

Doug