[lbo-talk] Doris Day and "Julie" (1956)

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 21 07:57:23 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 10:50 PM, Nathan S. wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken there was even a widespread sentiment about the need to encourage women to return to the home and have children because it was simply too dangerous to have them in factories/offices as part of that same campaign.

The most astounding artifact of this "sentiment" I've seen is the film _Julie_ from 1956, starring Louis Jourdain and Doris Day as a airline stewardess. A subplot of the film's climax has Doris working a flight whose pilot is too sick to land the plane. There's a anguished exchange between her and the man who's rescued her from Jourdain's control, because she hasn't the courage to take the controls. Her "rescuer" has to remind her that she was trained as a pilot during the war, and is their only hope for surviving a crash. A real portrait of powerlessness, and desire to discard the liberating aspects of the mobilization at home.