[lbo-talk] Imperious Italians?

Jordan jgl123 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 00:53:58 PDT 2011

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,792385,00.html

This article has some interesting tidbits. It also strikes me as a portrait of the Italian ruling class elegantly sauntering down the strada while huge car (train?) wrecks explode around them.  They seem to be saying,  "Oh, we've been here before...and we're rich. As long as we grow at 1% a year (they're not) and if you don't include the fact that it will cost us more and more to service our debt (hard to see how it won't), we look better than Germany..." etc., ad nauseum... I've heard old rich Italians (and some not so old) get nostalgic for Mussolini.  I think there are a few in this article...Of course no mention of the good people in the streets... But maybe they just have wealth and the long view on their side..?

Aloha,