[lbo-talk] American academia only good at producing writers, literary critics and historians

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 19:08:20 PDT 2011

Ya. This is the ruling class telling us we shouldn't get upset over the fact that our kids won't be able to afford college.

Maybe dropouts founded stuff, but ALL of them came from professional, highly connected families.

So, this is basically BS.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "// ravi" <ravi at platosbeard.org>

Anyway, FB and Twitter are fluff that any one of us could code up, albeit, admittedly, in 5 x time as Zuckerberg. The rest of the people are smart managers, not creators of anything. As we discussed in the earlier unrelated thread, the underlying creations come from Alan Turing, von Neumann, Claude Shannon, Dennis Ritchie, Bill Joy, Kirk McKusick (h/t Jordan for reminding me of Kirk), Van Jacobson, Vint Cerf, Metcalfe, Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds… not one of whom was a dropout, and almost all of whom have/had advanced degrees.

—ravi