[lbo-talk] German Bourgeois Press Apoplectic over Die Linke

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 22 21:09:32 PDT 2011

You need a program to get the best enjoyment out of the coming shuffling about of the media. I think this is another reason to read Ted Morgan's book (now available in paperback). He traces the way the media worked out their categories to 'contain' the democratic explosion. I don't think the media yet have a handle on how they will handles this. (Especially since some recent polls show what might be considered surprising approval of OWS by blue-collar workers (identified as those without any college), and even more surprising smallness of active disapproval. Probably that will provoke a lot of "hippie" labeling: hippies are alleged to be as scary as Reds once were. But the categories will develop and it should be interesting to follow that. The major category to "confine" the '60s movements was the "generational conflict." Perhaps they will even try that out a bit.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Smith Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:48 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] German Bourgeois Press Apoplectic over Die Linke

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 23:22:27 +0100 (BST) Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And I will venture a speculation here: OWS has had a salutory effect.

No doubt about it. Even the liberals have shuffled to the left -- weathercocks that they are.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com