[lbo-talk] Essence of Mass Politics, was Murray Bookchin on autonomy, consensus, democracy

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 06:45:49 PDT 2011

I pulled the trigger too soon.

I meant to add that using "consensus building" and collective deliberative practices of the kind plays a role in making people reveal their true disposition to implement what is voted on and in making them increase their involvement. The youtube channel, Razones de Cuba (http://www.youtube.com/user/razonesdecuba) has been uploading the entire series of "En silencio ha tenido que ser" -- a TV series from the 1980s about a Cuban G2 agent who infiltrates the high ranks of the CIA, with Sergio Corrieri and Mario Balmaseda. The series shows how the G2, Cuba's state security agency, manages to elicit from its agents high levels of personal commitment to their missions, methods which -- by the way -- are exactly the same that were used in the process of selecting the troops that Cuba sent to Angola in the 1970s and 1980s. The long and delicate process of making these intensely personal decisions is "consensus building" at its best.

As I've been saying, political power is the productive force of labor directed at reinforcing or dismantling given social structures. Hierarchical "consensus building" (e.g. "Work for me or I'll kill you or punish you physically"; "Work for me or you won't have access to land, i.e. food"; "Work for me or you won't have access to money, i.e. survival"; "Work for me or you'll be a loser, break my heart, look uncool", etc.) have sharp limits. "Work along with me because it makes sense for all of us" -- when the "making sense" part is duly worked out -- leads to the highest quality work, the highest form of political power. That is the grain of truth in the anarchist approach.