[lbo-talk] Margin Call

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 06:52:53 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> What was interesting about the movie was that it looked at the rift/collaboration between the 1% and the .1%. First time I've actually seen this on film. So, worth a look see. Not worth $10 bucks at the movie theater, but worth a DVD rental.

Agreed. If you already know some of the technical history it's pretty obvious what's going on, but it still gets some subtle drama out of it. But I imagine it could be a little opaque if you don't understand the background.

What I thought was interesting was how the movie compressed the events of the crash down to a single day at a single firm.

> (Quant: an MIT/CalTech type who would normally be building rockets or bridges, but currently analyzing risk on Wall St.)

This is perfectly realistic. I've known of a number of ocean/atmospheric scientists who made this jump. I also once had a housemate who had a PhD in quantum physics (he still did it on the side for fun) but became a quant when the job market for pure physics research dried up. So keep your scientists well-funded, and nobody gets hurt! :-)

-- Andy