[lbo-talk] Murray Bookchin on autonomy, consensus, democracy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 23 06:56:32 PDT 2011

shag

Of course there are problems. I'd gather the bigger problem, something that Carrol points out all the time about the 60s, isn't gonna be the individualism but the repressive apparatus of the capitalist state.

i hadn't seen the rest of what you'd written but i really don't understand why anyone here should ever think that a "movement" should emerge fully-formed wielding a mighty anti-capitalist ideology, ready to tear down capitalism and, uh, take over state power.

If one thinks politically, and with the merest smidgen of historical consciousness, one would not dream of using such a silly word as "problem" in the presence of a social explosion such as we are witnessing. Right after the War Bill Maudlin tried his hand for a couple years as a political cartoonist. Only so-so, but one popped into my head. It shows either Willie or Joe, but instead of a WW2 uniform he is in the uniform (very very messy) of a soldier in the Continental Army, standing in the midst of a circle of shocked women; the caption: Private Joe appears at his great great granddaughter's DAR meeting. Those shocked matrons are lbo-talk responding to OWS.

Carrol