[lbo-talk] those demands? forget about 'em!

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sun Oct 23 07:17:00 PDT 2011

On Oct 22, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Sean Andrews wrote:

> Thanks. I hadn't seen this latest post...still...

I appreciated your posts, Sean. What I don't get is how this squares with the #2 vision

"Implement FLO (free libre open-source) solutions for everything"

of the Liberty Square Blueprint:

<http://www.freenetworkmovement.org/commons/index.php?title=Liberty_Square_Blueprint>

Given a FLOSS perspective, aren't folks encouraged to fork and modify, create derivative works, etc. as long as access to the original source isn't closed off? I've been involved in FLOSS projects where developers were (in their words) "routing around" the original author who held divergent ideas about where to take the work.

Whether the above is appropriate behavior for a collective, to me, is beside the point. FLOSS as a model for politics seems unworkable (or simply the status quo), and offering it as a vision for GA/OWS seems to mask where power is located in the group.