[lbo-talk] why strategy?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Oct 23 20:03:41 PDT 2011

julio's comments made me go watch the debate again.

in it maisano says that occupation strategy, it's merely a tactic. he thinks that it feels as if some of the folks at OWS just think that, paraphrase, tactical victory will pile up on top of tactical victory and then we'll have some sort of revolution....

why not?

whence the idea that revolution or movements have to be organized? Not being a student of previous revolutions in other countries, I have no idea how things happened during other periods of mobilization.

I was trying to think about what Julio said, especially when he pointed to Marx's arguments in the Manifesto. When I think about the u.s. bourgeois revolution, it was the civil war, but as far as I know, there wasn't a systematic strategy waged on behalf of the long term strategic interests of the bourgeoisie. But then, not being a student of the civil war...for those where are, what are the lessons, if any>

what about the French Rev? Cuba? Does Russia count here? China?