[lbo-talk] those demands? forget about 'em!

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Oct 24 12:01:21 PDT 2011

So, do not view anarchism as the cause of the problem. View it as the symptom. The urgent problem is lack of raw disposition to fight collectively, lack of unity, lack of self-education in the struggle, and lack of organization. Work on these fronts and anarchism will become unnecessary in due time. What is the urgency of demands now now now? What will be lost (compared to the feasible alternative) if OWS doesn't make a pronouncement on full employment or monetary policy or what-have-you now now now?

Julio Huato

-----------

All good.

The looming economic, social, and political crisis-disaster that we face are the sources of this urgency.

``The urgent problem is lack of raw disposition to fight collectively, lack of unity, lack of self-education in the struggle, and lack of organization.''

Agreed. There is another problem for me, which is communication. It's very difficult for the rest us outside NYC to figure out what is happening in the anarchy of voices.

Instead of developing a critique, I'll refer OWS to some of its critical friends. Here is Black Agenda, Glen Ford:

``Having challenged the plutocrats and all their minions - and gaining majority support of the American people in the process - the "movement" is called upon, from inside and out, to make specific demands. Of course, Old Fred taught us that power concedes nothing without a demand. But the wrong demands can undo a popular project, so this is not something to rush into. And, in many cases, there is no point in demanding anything from your enemy, except that he drop dead in a hurry...'

http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/occupy-wall-street-what-you-can-demand-versus-what-you-must-do

I noticed that the OWS Action group is popular. This sort of thing forms the de facto demand called for. It's like various occupations of yore, when we would hold meetings in the ASUC building. Students have a right to hold meetings in their putative building. Using the ASUC had all sorts of bullshit regulations, permits, registered groups only, only so many people allowed, blah, blah, blah.

I guess I am beginning to come around. I was thinking last night that we often had no real leadership or it changed so often that it worked more like a committee. Various actions were planned like Stop the Draft Week. It needed some organization because we needed collect money to rent buses to get to the Oakland Induction Center. The action lasted through a week and really took off when the cops started pushing and knocking around local news crews who had to use the street to cover the wild beatings of people running a gauntlet...

The great virtue of being a loose sort of changing leadership was that this made it impossible for the cops and FBI from cutting the head off so the body falls apart. This tactic failed because there was no hierarchical structure.

CG