[lbo-talk] The Generationally 1%

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 24 14:07:38 PDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:55 PM, lbo83235 wrote:

> So why is the volatility of income more interesting, explanatorily, than the relative stickiness of wealth inheritance?

It's not at all. It's just what we've got data on. We've got data on individual mobility and intergenerational mobility for income. Nothing even close for wealth. Poverty, there was an entire industry devoted to the intergenerational transmission of poverty in the run-up to welfare "reform" in the U.S. Not so much about the transmission of wealth.

Doug