[lbo-talk] end of OWS?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 10:54:13 PDT 2011

123hop at

Maybe it’s a cultural thing: why do people even want to keep drumming for four hours or more?

—ravi ------------------------- Four hours is more than plenty.

I don't know about "cultural". I mean this is the USA; how would drumming be integral to our culture?

^^^^ CB: Based in the Indigenous and African influences in American music, which are significant...much drumming , polyrhythms, integrated with dancing in blues, jazz, soul ; and I'd say you can hear the American Indian rhythms in rock and roll. Also, drumming dovetails with militancy, militant politics , in the drums are key military instruments traditionally, US drum and bugle corps. OWS are political militants , American style.

However, I'm not taking a position on whatever is going on with drummers at Z-Park

^^^^

But it is a form of activity (cue Doug on activitism) and it is a form of self hypnosis; neither a substitute for conscious action.

I mean, I like drums and all, I understand that it amps group energy and all, but still....

Joanna