[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:16:09 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering how, since I'm sure it's got to be different,
> implementing a full employment program - which supposedly has the same
> salutary effect on worker consciousness does as full employment in the
> late 90s bubble - would foster labor consciousness in a way that isn't
> quite so individualistic.

Well, it's speculation, but things could be different if unions are involved heavily in the creation of new jobs. But that also would take a huge transformation in union politics, as unions have adopted a sort of collective individualist mindset recently: witness the UAW's sellout over health care.

The other thing I see potentially forming from full employment is a resurgent nationalism: the state creates prosperity and so earns the fealty of its citizens. A new patriotism to accompany enhanced value production.