[lbo-talk] On Theorizing the Demand for Demands

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:03:00 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> Bookchin was famous for making much the same distinction as Graeber between
> new and old anarchists 20 years earlier -- except that his preference was
> exactly the opposie.  He thought old anarchism was deep, and that new
> anarchism was a deterioration into new age experience mongering.  But he
> agreed with Graeber that the new were largely replacing the old when it came
> to representing the term -- so much so that he stopped calling himself an
> anarchist in the end because he thought the term now meant things he was
> against.  He started calling himself a "social ecologist" instead -- by
> which he meant an old style anarchist.

Thanks for the links - you're absolutely right. It's Bookchin's 'Social Anarchism vs Lifestyle Anarchism' with the adjectives changed.

Before getting sidetracked into the discussion of the Jacobin panel, I had started a response to SA's query about transitions from anarchism to Marxism. Not sure when or if I'll get around to finishing it now. But I was a teenage anarchist, and Murray Bookchin's 'Remaking Society' was I think the first full-length piece of radical social analysis I read. The 'Lifestyle Anarchism' pamphlet also made a big impression on me. It's been a lot of fun in the last few days to read this stuff again. I was surprised to find that 'Lifestyle Anarchism' was only published in 1995 - it can't have been long after that that I read it.

Mike