[lbo-talk] On Theorizing the Demand for Demands

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 25 17:27:25 PDT 2011

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>

> I don't see either of you as ultra-left, especially not you Carrol.
> You are almost the direct opposite (I don't mean ultra-right of
> course) with your Olympian position and disdain for moralism. My
> interpretation of your politics is that it is quite close to a Second
> International position asserting historical inevitability, with a key
> reversal of the 'inevitability' to 'indeterminacy' - the similarity
> remaining in that there is no role for conscious efforts to change the
> course of history.

I think the role he advocates is much like mine: under every day circumstances, when so much is against us, our job is to keep the soil fertilized, tilled, and as weed free as possible. When ruptures occur and drop the seeds of revolutionary movements, it will have mattered whether, all along, we were tilling, fertilizing, and weeding.

I mean, if I'm gonna be a narcissist, why not consider the purty little flowers an' all.

what is an ultraleftist anyway?