[lbo-talk] Tuesday evening report from OWS

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Oct 26 00:19:51 PDT 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:46:21 -0700 Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> But I am puzzled about this impression of drizzle, as well as by the
> Jodi Dean "gotcha" crap. wtf?

I clearly haven't been reading as attentively as I should. Who the devil is Jodi Dean, and why is she important?

A quick Google (thanks for the tip, Doug) suggests that she's a professor at a third-tier school with degrees from a couple of first-tier schools. A case of downward mobility. I sympathize.

Has she spent much time down at Zuccotti? Hard to tell.

Somebody named Jodi Dean -- same one? -- has a blog containing a remarkably stupid and badly-phrased entry about the Great Drum Crisis. The links go to Gothamist and a Community Board brochure-ware web page.

http://bit.ly/uNE27g

There's much to enjoy here, but my favorite is the lede:

> Tonight's meeting of the full Community Board 1 will test the
> evolving compromise between neighborhood representatives and the
> Occupy Wall Street protesters.

This brought tears of mirth to my eyes. The idea that a Community Board meeting might 'test' anything, apart from the Sitzfleisch of the attendees -- and then, too, the idea that a NYC Community Board consists of 'neighborhood representatives'. Community Boards, as everybody who lives here knows, are evenly divided between landlords and lunatics with too much time on their hands.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I think the American people want a solemn ass as a President, and I think I will go along with them."

-- Barack Obama

(Okay, okay, it was really Calvin Coolidge.)