[lbo-talk] end of OWS?

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:48:29 PDT 2011

On Oct 26, 2011, at 4:03 PM, // ravi wrote:

>> You forgot the emoticon.
>
> Emoticons decrease snark value. Why give your comrades the impression that you also want to be their friend?

I stewed over it, and in retrospect I wish I'd written a different message.

Disclosure: She's a friend of someone I've done some organising work with. I don't have anything invested in her, and from what I know she can be very stubborn and confrontational, but her commitments are reasonable and she's courageous. The intervention at the meeting seemed misjudged, but far from the "shouting" it was described as being. In general, I'd rather deal with someone who's openly obnoxious than someone who spreads anonymous "feedback" (and I say that in full contrition at having done so myself). The former is a pain in the ass; the latter is toxic. I suppose a degree of protectiveness and even suspicion are to be expected, and will probably increase as tensions ratchet up, but whispering campaigns do a lot more real damage than hard-headedness; they prefigure the gulag.