[lbo-talk] Another computer great passes: John McCarthy RIP

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Oct 26 08:54:47 PDT 2011

On comp.ai.philosophy, IIRC, there used to be a Harvard mathematics grad student (Russian, I forget his name) who used to have rip roaring debates with McCarthy. They used to be a fun read, especially since (by my reading) the guy used to run circled around McCarthy. McCarthy made great contributions to Computer Science, but I am glad that his (and Minsky’s) brand of AI, as well as Lisp, failed by and large (though these days there is a significant renewal of functional languages). I know it’s a stretch, but I think there is an interesting contrast that can be drawn between the work of the two greats who died in the last few days: Ritchie and McCarthy. C and Lisp. Unix/IP (and the underlying methodology) and strong AI, US and Japan. I am not the person for it (for one thing I am clearly biased :-)).

—ravi