[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 11:09:58 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> One wee question, though.
>
> why should we want full employment when we can simply push for an
> awesome social safety net. I mean, if we are doing this with an eye
> toward it ALL being planned, then wouldn't building out the social
> safety net - health care, unemployment benefits, housing, retirement,
> etc. etc. be a much better wa to do this?

Well, there are problems with this too, particularly the regulatory aspects that, in the current political situation, affect women and minorities disproportionately, but yes. I suspect that people embrace the demand for full employment because it seems more attainable than a safety net, but the arguments put forward here--the ruling class hates it, etc.--actually argue that it wouldn't be.