[lbo-talk] madness in Oakland

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 26 13:58:52 PDT 2011

On Oct 26, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The police do not make these decisons; they are made by higher-ups. The Police carry them out with delight, but they are only carrying out decisions made elsewhere, by civilian authorities.

I'll be interviewing the sociologist Alex Vitale, who studies cops and political power, for this week's radio show. One point Alex made when I emailed with him this morning: urban Dem machines are just as repressive as the right. Oh, and since Seattle and 9/11, most police departments have stocked up on the heavy armaments and have been itching to use them.

Doug