[lbo-talk] Another computer great passes: John McCarthy RIP

brandelune at gmail.com brandelune at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 02:04:59 PDT 2011

On Oct 27, 2011, at 10:26 AM, // ravi wrote:

> they are intuitive. Users don’t need to talk about the lambda calculus (poor old Church, one of my idols) or monads or immutability, i.e., they do not need an advanced degree in CS, to do imperative programming.

The MIT introductory course in CS was based on Scheme until very recently. And when you get SICP you don't really run into complex concepts until quite far in the book. While K&R goes into the complexity of pointers very early in the book.

But, well, I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, barely an amateur who needs a few dozen lines of bash stuff to automate a few tasks once in a while, so I really don't pretend to give an informed opinion here.

JC