[lbo-talk] enemy's turf

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 27 08:41:59 PDT 2011

I'm not sure why it is so hard to see the pointlessness of "critic ism" or "disagreement" with isolated one-time events. Every riot is different, and points made about one riot will never be known by those who make the next riot. I thought the beer riots of ISU students back in the'70s were pretty damn silly -- and we ignored them. We certainly would not, howver, have wasted our time and oxygen in "criticizing" them. There is a great movie, no copies of which perhaps remain, Streets of Sorrow (made in Europe, featuring Greta Garbo. In its final scenes it shifts back and forth between a high-society ball and a gathering bread riot, the cadences of the two mirroring each other. Several of us had driven from Ann Arbor over to this theater in Clawson that showed old films to see a Chaplin film. It was a double bill, and for the first 20+ minutes of Streets of Sorrow I thought it was a lousy film, but damn it grew on us all. The riot/ball scenes had some of the beauty of the Steps of Odessa sequence.

Riots, Watts, London, all of them don't _start_ in order to loot. But if people want to take advantage of them to do a little looting, why should that be a focus of comment. It throws no light on anything, while other aspects of a riot, including what triggered it, may be of interst. Kvetching at the looting is merely self-expression to no end by the kvetcher.

Carrol