[lbo-talk] Tuesday evening report from OWS

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:07:47 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Really, there's a vitriolic edge to the critiques of Jodi that I don't get. It seems to go beyond substance to some sort of personal animus.

As far as I know, you are the only one here who actually knows her. I think it's more that she is, within this specific milieu, a visible representation of a certain viewpoint and is a flashpoint because of that. And not even so much a flashpoint as a common point of reference, a shorthand way to refer to certain tendencies and possible directions. So in that capacity of course she's going to be subject to vitriol, because we are all trying to work this shit out, a process that needs points of conflict, something she would certainly validate.

So yeah, I am a bit pissed at her for, at least leading up to OWS, essentially attriuting the awfulness of the present to a political practice I have a great deal of sympathy for. But personal animus has nothing to do with it, since, well, I don't know her personally.