[lbo-talk] occupation and situationists was Re: enemy's turf

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Oct 28 07:31:58 PDT 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:44:33 -0400 "shag carpet bomb" <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> It's one of the reasons
> why I exclaimed, Occupy Walmart! What would it mean to occupy at the
> site of consumption / production. Don't just picket Walmart or stop
> shopping there, turn the place into - i don't know - something that
> it's not intended to be for.

Lots and lots of good stuff in this last from scb, but the occupy-Walmart idea is really especially fine. Walmart has to be open to do business; but if it's open anybpdy can walk in. Just mill around in the aisles, block traffic, accumulate a cartload of cheap shabby krotz, wait patiently in the checkout line, then abandon it at the register. What are they going to do? Shut the store? You win either way.

Only thing is, I don't get the sense that Walmart et al. are particularly conspicuous targets of the Occupiers' ire. The focus seems to be on finance capital and government -- what a friend of mine refers to as the "tower troll sector". Which is certainly very much in order. But there's probably enough heterogeneity of interest in the crowd that enough people could be found to go choke a Walmart somewhere.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I think the American people want a solemn ass as a President, and I think I will go along with them."

-- Barack Obama

(Okay, okay, it was really Calvin Coolidge.)