[lbo-talk] Another computer great passes: John McCarthy RIP

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Oct 29 09:31:43 PDT 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 01:00:48 +0200 Tayssir John Gabbour <tjg at pentaside.org> writes:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org>
> wrote:
> >> Barring disability or other misfortune, your post leads me to
> >> believe that you can choose to be a senior software developer
> >
> > And what makes you so sure that I am not a senior software
> developer?
>
> I imagine you are, but of course can't be 100% sure. (Would be
> awful
> if you're homeless or something, unable to hold a job, and here I
> am
> arguing with you while you're just trying to entertain yourself.
> And
> it's odd that a privileged senior software dev would joke on
> leftist
> forums about being a prole, and make fundamental errors about
> languages despite being offered evidence.)

Isn't that what being a senior software developer is all about? Never having to say your sorry because you allegedly made some sort of a fundamental error about some language.

> > Breaking my promise to respond to this, since TJG raises questions
> about me:
>
> Well, I came down with a cold but haven't had much time to rest. So
> maybe I'm cranky and humorless. But...
>
> I do think you've done your audience a disservice. I've had two
> jobs
> where I programmed exclusively in Common Lisp, and can say you're
> misinformed on this topic.

Don't you just love these passionate debates over computer languages? Such a refreshing change from debates over theology or metaphysics. Then again, maybe not.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math