[lbo-talk] [New post] Don't get me wrong

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 14:10:07 PDT 2011

Michael Smith wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:27:34 -0400
>Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

>>In the immortal words of Lenin, better fewer but better.
>>

>Sounds more like those constipated jerks Strunk & White.
>
>Back in the very best period of English prose they
>had a concept they called 'copia', which might
>be translated as 'copiousness' or 'abundance' or
>even 'luxuriance'. Pithy prose is a bourgeois
>shibboleth.

This really isn't about "pithy prose"; it how we share the online space to have a conversation. If all of us posted as much as Shag has lately, the number of posts per day would increase dramatically, and very few of us would have time to follow the threads carefully and read all the responses. I love Shag's insights, but I'd also like to learn what others have to say. The three post rule is a beautiful thing.

Miles