[lbo-talk] Euthanasia is not reform

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 29 18:54:51 PDT 2011

Doug wrote:
> By the way, corp personhood wouldn't be so bad if you could also
> jail and/or execute them when they commit crimes, eh?

For sure, it would be so bad as it is. It would take a kind of revolution to impose the responsibilities of corp personhood to go with the privileges they took.

I thought it was an interesting comment and would be surprised if Doug intended it to further understanding of how social movements develop. New ways to develop social movements are all around. If when we supply good ideas we are helping the movements take off in the right direction. Movements need something to be for that could really work.

Doug's pearls could be made into a necklace. Looking for a plan or just pieces of a plan would be a good direction to take.

Here's a bit of a plan: Increased entitlements can avoid the need to create jobs when they aren't needed. Without the need to stimulate physical consumption to make jobs we could stop trying to consume more physical stuff than the planet can continue to supply.

The level of the basic income could be lowered as required to force-out the labor needed by the economy. If too many people choose leisure, and wages are rising to attract more workers, then the basic income is too high. In that way we can induce the just the needed amount of labor, control inflation without tight money, and conserve resources without poverty.

Barry http://home.earthlink.net/~durable/