[lbo-talk] Another computer great passes: John McCarthy RIP

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Oct 30 04:42:02 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:
> Don't you just love these passionate debates over computer languages?
> Such a refreshing change from debates over theology or metaphysics.
> Then again, maybe not.

I felt no passion participating in this debate, and I'm sorry if I helped bore people. Sectarianism in programming may even be huger than in the political sphere. I feel terribly sorry for the person who's curious about these machines and What Does It All Mean, and sees these "debates."

Speaking of theology and metaphysics, imagine if some of us could write symbols of light, and thereby control a flying beast or a golem. If you could say words of command (but rather precisely or it'll fizzle!), and you can divine the locations of things. Well, many already do these things. But such mystical notions have been stripped of their beauty. Many jaded practitioners waste their time arguing over minor issues of incantation, unable to ask themselves where everything fits into the greater context.

Some interesting ideas do come into the mainstream from this practice. Like "bugs." It is sensible to believe your thinking is full of bugs, and learn to root them out. Without obsessing over losing face.

All the best,

Tj