[lbo-talk] Subject: Amusing OWS story

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Sun Oct 30 05:56:06 PDT 2011

Michael: I don't find that story about your home-town facebook page amusing--I find it discouraging. But good for you for persisting, and in good humor.

Maybe the approach with the woman who mentioned ACORN is not to tell her it sounds like Fox News, but to press that point on the merits: has she visited any of the encampments or read about them? There is pretty obviously not any big money behind them, and what supplies they have are donated from ordinary people. Etc. But you've probably tried that kind of thing.

An anecdote that has encouraged me is in the opposite direction: when I was in DC last week, I was at crosswalk waiting for a light, on my way toward an #OccupyDC BoA micro-protest, which we could see and hear from across the intersection (the streets were busy with pedestrians because it was lunchtime). I turned to a conservatively dressed woman next to me and said, "These people are heroes," not knowing how she would respond (but she looked like she might well be the type to say something about ACORN). She smiled and responded: "It's about time." Later, watching the same group of #OccupyDC march noisily back toward Macpherson Square, I cheered them from the sidelines, which was all it took to get a several other lunchtime gawkers to cheer also.

I thought that meant that even in DC, where people seem very buttoned-up and conservative, there was support for the Occupiers just below the surface. But maybe that's the difference between a big east-coast city and a more rural place like your hometown. I wonder what tactics, beyond Facebook, would help garner sympathy for #OWS in such areas (and organizing around it).

Also: note this piece in today's NYT about hydrofracking pitting neighbor against neighbor in Cooperstown NY (near my hometown of Syracuse): www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/nyregion/in-cooperstowns-fight-over-gas-drilling-civility-is-fading.html. I can't even think about fracking in the beautiful Finger Lakes without getting pissed off.

Message: 16

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, Dollars & Sense 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org