[lbo-talk] It's a Long Road to Tipperary

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 30 09:53:51 PDT 2011

Actually, it can be theoretically established that a mass movement cannot, regardless of what its "leadership" desires, be guided by a strategy that goes beyond a handful of what onemight call "highly important banalities." It can also be empirically demonstrated that no mass movement in history, including the Russian Revolution, has been governed by anythng that could be called a strategy (except, of course, for those highly important banalities. And finally, it can be historically demonstrated that all Parties or other would-be general staffs of Revolution that have attempted to organize a mass movement (or Revolutionary Movement) through the "application" of a Strategy have ended up as hole-in-the-corner sects endlessly muttering to themselves, but we are right; those others are "uttra-lefts" or "opportunists." Dean's proposed strategy (as summarized by shag) is almost a reductio ad absurdum of such pathetic failures of the past.

Carrol