[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1736, Issue 3

aren aizura aren.aizura at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:02:04 PDT 2011

I've been lurking for years on lbo and Doug, I really respect your capacity to explain economics. I get a lot from this list, and from LBO radio, the newsletter, etc. But this post from your blog just makes me fume. You haven't read that much abolitionist work, right? Because if you had, you might get that prison studies nowadays is all about understanding incarceration in a fairly Foucauldian way, that the "prison industrial complex" doesn't just count prisons but any space the state uses to enclose people: hospitals, mental institutions, halfway houses, shelters, SROS, immigration detention facilities, on and on. So, the number of people who have probably interfaced with the PIC and hate it is pretty large.

I thought this was most ill-considered: "But the only reason to have any hope for social transformation is that "we are many, they are few." I don't care to defend Angela Davis, but I do understand what she was getting at. Angela Davis spoke twice in Philly the other night, at the Marcuse conference and then at Occupy Philly. In the former she talked more expansively about Attica -- that the Attica prisoners attempted to institute communal relations in which everyone's needs were met during their occupation, not unlike the prefigurative politics OWS is experimenting with. I think she started talking about this after someone in the audience asked her to talk about George Jackson. More than this, what she said at Zuccotti and at Occupy Philly speak to a hesitation a lot of folks I know have expressed about OWS: if it's just about a fantasy of the "99%" whose economic oppression trumps any other kind of institutionalized differentiation (racialized, sexual/gendered, etc), then we don't want to touch it. We'd rather support the Pelican Bay hunger strikes, the work people are already engaged in. But that way people really lose out on a lot of super experienced organizing muscle.

To put it another way: if, as someone else wrote yesterday, "we" can't survive the winter without the support of the "working class" communities in NYC -- immigrant and black communities, someone else added, revealing that "we" as disgustingly racialized -- it might be quite important to be talking about prisons. Statistically, the prison population is also pretty skewed and much higher in certain states like California, right? I think everyone I know in CA knows someone who's been in prison. It's no coincidence that the General Strike is happening in Oakland, with a long history of black and non-white insurrection and a more recent history of rioting against the racist viciousness of the police. Nor that it originates in a plaza renamed after Oscar Grant.

"Why an emphasis on people with no social power?"

Uh yeah, because it's only the people with social power who should be out in the streets? Good luck with that. I love to see some white middle-class men rioting, I do.

Cheers, Aren Aizura