[lbo-talk] [New post] Don't get me wrong

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 08:14:50 PDT 2011

Carrol Cox

On 10/29/2011 12:56 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Back in the very best period of English prose they
> had a concept they called 'copia', which might
> be translated as 'copiousness' or 'abundance' or
> even 'luxuriance'. Pithy prose is a bourgeois
> shibboleth.

Agreed. Many see Swift as one of the great English prose masters, which he was -- and his very best prose, in Tale of a Tub, has the copia of Elizabethan prose.

_Copia_ could also be glossed if not translated as "fullness" I think.

Carrol

^^^^^ CB: The problem is copia squared. Copious copia , copia from all list members, takes too long to read.