[lbo-talk] autumn of the communes

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 31 09:07:26 PDT 2011

Re-read shag's post more carefully. Calling names, she says, is not a good idea, but what _really_ fucks up discussion is the use of the logical fallacy of the _ad hominem_ argument. You could simply return my rudeness to you; not pleasant, not desirable, but neither of us has distorted the issues, poisoned the well of discourse. I've never quite understood why it is so difficult to grasp what is wrong with ad hominem arguments, or the inability of so many to recognize the difference between an ad hominem argument and personal abuse. Let me try again.

First an example of personal abuse:

**** 1. X is evil 2. John affirms X 3. Therefore John is a prick. *****

Now, statement 3 is rude and probably won't help the discussion. Not a good idea. BUT, shag says, it won't poison the wells of discourse, because it does not prejudge any respnse John makes. John can reply, quite straightforwardly, in two different ways.

(a) John can argue that X is not evil. So the argument can proceed in ordinary ways. (b) John can agree that X is evil but point out that he does not in fact agree with X.

The discourse may still get pretty rough, but it has not been seriously frustrated.

Now consider the ad himinem argument, and it will be best to give several examples.

****** 1. John is illiterate. 2. John affirms X 3. Therefore X is evil. ******

***** John is a wonderful person. John affirms X Therefore X is true. *****

The topic of the discourse is X: one 'side' is arguing for X, the otherside against X. But both examples of ad hominem argument CONCEAL X and make it extremely difficult to ever get back to X. They have poisoned the wells of discourse. The topic now becomes the personality of John, not the truth or falsity of X.

Some really lousy pricks out there in the world promote some very good ideas. Some really inteeligent and wonderful persons out there in the world profess really ugly and false ideas.The truth of a proposition is not determined by the character of those who profess it.

So to summarize.

Michael is correct; we should try to be less rude. We should also make some effort not to merely exchange insults. But those insults happen; they are static but not poison. But an ad homnem argument is more than static, it is poison, and not only in the ways mentioned above but in a further way: When someone uses an ad hominem argument, it becomes difficult to believe in the good faith of that person. Now the wells are really poisoned.

Carrol