[lbo-talk] Tower of Hanoi

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Oct 31 12:35:07 PDT 2011

> I really wish some of this stuff was taught earlier. There's no
> reason for students not to have
> seen The Towers of Hanoi problem in high school, or earlier.

I recall being first exposed to the Towers of Hanoi problem back in high school in a computer lab class in the early 1970s.

Jim Farmelant

I'd never heard of the Tower of Hanoi puzzle, so I checked it out on wiki:

``The puzzle can be played with any number of disks, although many toy versions have around seven to nine of them. The game seems impossible to many novices, yet is solvable with a simple algorithm. The number of moves required to solve a Tower of Hanoi puzzle is 2^n - 1, where n is the number of disks.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Hanoi

This is indeed a fascinating puzzle. But I suspect there is more than just recursion going on here. If anybody knows what that `more' is, I'd sure like to hear it.

CG