[lbo-talk] why it matters

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Oct 31 18:36:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:42:22 -0400 "shag carpet bomb" <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> If I call Carrol an asshole, everyone knows i'm being rude.
>
> If I chose to ... maintain that he's a screeching
> homeless guy typing in from the library and he's not a retired
> professor at all, then what have i done?

You've lied, haven't you? I don't mean you-you of course, but the imaginary you of your hypothetical case.

An ad hominem is one thing. Smith knows Latin and owns a little sailboat, so clearly he knows nothing about the Working Class. None of the factual claims is a lie, but it's still a fallacy, and even as rhetoric, a feeble line of argument at best -- hardly worth refuting. Nobody is really convinced by it who isn't already convinced.

But a lie is another thing, and a lot more serious. Somebody might be convinced by a lie.

You're quite right to say, though, that refuting a lie may cost more than it buys you. The locus classicus is that anti-Semite thing that Zionists love to deploy. If you turn aside to answer it, they win. But if you don't turn aside to answer it, then they go unanswered.

I think you just have to laugh it off, and wait until the gambit has become so familiar and tired that nobody pays any attention anymore.

Henry Ford, I believe, once said, "never explain, never apologize." Not bad advice, though a little over-generalized. I'd say, with Gilbert & Sullivan, "hardly ever".

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I think the American people want a solemn ass as a President, and I think I will go along with them."

-- Barack Obama

(Okay, okay, it was really Calvin Coolidge.)