[lbo-talk] Information warfare: Fake images of Green Square?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 08:53:04 PDT 2011

Dennis: "I don't. No one person does. The community does that work -- thousands and thousands of calls, tweets, SMS, etc. Over time, the Libyan community, sympathizers, and the diaspora gradually figured out who was telling the truth, who could be trusted, and who was full of BS."

[WS:] I've seen that quite a bit during the period leading to the emergence of Solidarity in Poland. They used a different technology (copy machines and couriers, my place served as one of many contact points), but the concept was pretty much the same - to let independent voices be heard through a medium ostensibly free of propaganda and censorship. There was real concern though that government used "false samizadats" to disseminate its propaganda. The answer to that concern was similar to what you just described - let's the community decide.

I am pretty much for community mediation in deciphering the meaning behind the news, but I have to admit that is not foolproof, and may lead to great distortions. I saw people believin any story that had an obvious anti-government tenor, even if a story would raise serious eyebrows of any critically thinking person. Likewise, stories that did not appear to be anti-government were often judged suspect. In such environment, there was no effective way of telling truth from bullshit, and this is not very helpful. People can swallow any bullshit or a propaganda lie as long as it conforms to their pre-conceived idea of what a "true" message should look like.

Wojtek